Oral Health Transformation
About the Oral Health Transformation Initiative
Together, the North Carolina Institute of Medicine (NCIOM) and the NCOHC are convening a multi-sector task force to evaluate, assess, and recommend potential options regarding oral health system transformation.
The Oral Health Transformation Task Force will bring together key oral and health care stakeholders, policymakers, academics, and other influencers in the collaborative design, development, and messaging of oral health care transformation opportunities in North Carolina.
To determine a path forward that shapes access to care for our state’s most vulnerable populations, affects oral health outcomes, and influences achievement of health equity for years to come, the task force will:
- Evaluate and learn from oral health transformation models across the United States, focusing on successes, challenges, and lessons learned.
- Consider options and opportunities to reimagine delivery of oral health care services in North Carolina through collective stakeholder engagement.
- Develop consensus-driven recommendations and considerations for oral health transformation in North Carolina to be presented to the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS) and the North Carolina General Assembly.
Task Force Timeline
Phase 1: Planning | January 1, 2022 – June 30, 2022
- Objective 1: Literature review and evaluation of current Medicaid transformation models for oral health services across the United States
- Objective 2: Information gathering — key informant interviews, qualitative analysis, and summary of lessons learned from stakeholders across the United States
- Objective 3: Qualitative interviews with Medicaid beneficiaries to understand current system barriers
Phase 1 Deliverables:
- Cross-state impact analysis report
- Market survey report
- Medicaid beneficiary impact report
- Full written and/or video report summarizing key findings and recommendations
Phase 2: Task Force Implemenatation | July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023
- Objective 4: Convening of a 12-month task force to evaluate other states’ oral health transformation models, determine options and opportunities for North Carolina, and develop a final report outlining actionable recommendations and key considerations
Phase 2 Deliverables:
- Preparation of task force (identification of task force membership, steering committee, and co-chairs); identification of key topics, speakers, and meeting agenda overview plan
- Task force launch – 10 meetings between July 2022 and June 2023
- Final report and dissemination plan
Phase 3: Dissemination of Task Force Findings | July 1, 2023 – December 2023
- Integrated, multi-channel communications campaign will support the dissemination of the final report
Task Force Membership